Saturday, June 07, 2008

Saw a story recently in the news berating the TV series Underbelly for glorifying crime. I'm a pretty major fan so I have to put in my 2 cents worth. By the time the true crime story has wound up, all of the criminal protagonists are either dead or in jail or on the run. The series tells the story from the point of view of both the criminals and the police who pursue them. The police are clearly the good guys, the criminals are clearly a bunch of remorseless psychopaths with deeply damaged lives. The point being that people will interpret things however they will. I think it's fair to say that the producers didn't set out to make a series that glorified criminals. I think they just wanted to offer a history lesson, the juiciest kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home