Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Yes yes it has been quite a long while since I put anything of any substance up here. It plays on my mind a bit, as this is it for me lately, as far as the old creative output is concerned. So it feels like it's about time for me to take a big old deep breath, and get refocused. The thing that crossed my mind this morning, as I lay in bed pondering, was that a the thing that a person must do in life, more than anything else, is to prepare for death. I'm not trying to sound grim or depressive here (even though everyone always says that). But what kind of life have we lived if we haven't prepared for the absolute inevitable? One reaches a certain age and one realises that the scales are tipped, and not in one's own favour. One gets past the expected half-way point and then it's all downhill. I figure that if you get to the age of a hundred, all of human history starts to look like a pretty small stretch, considering how short a human life is, and how quickly time flies as you age. Sometimes it seems hard to believe that I've reached this age and not married, not had a child or bought property. But of course it's not all that uncommon these days, which doesn't make it seem any less disappointing. But why be disappointed when all life ends alone in the grave anyway, regardless of one's lifetime companions, children or property.

1 Comments:

Blogger Daphnewood said...

I went to CA recently to visit my father. He will be 77 on his next birthday. My step-brother and I discussed the mortality of our parents and it just made me sad. I know I souldn't be sad because my parents live life to the fullest. My father still works at the restaurant on occasion but is always out in his garden or orchard, constantly working and loving life. He only watches TV when soccer is on. He is completely happy with his life and how it has played out. He doesn't act like on old person. I have tried to take on his attitude and do the same. I honestly feel like if I died tomorrow I would be happy with my time on earth. I would only regret not seeing my children grown and settled. I don't know. You have me thinking today, Mr. Craig. What will I do with it? mope, worry or get motivated to enjoy this glorious day? I'll let you know how it turns out.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home