Saturday, November 12, 2005

glorious

I realised at some point last night that alcohol is killing me. Actually I've known that for quite a while but it really hit home, even harder than usual. So at least I haven't had anything today but I never know how long I can stick to a non-drinking regimen, not long usually. I must be quite suicidal if I keep doing it in the full knowledge of what it's doing to me. Possibly that realisation may lead to the beginning of the end of my drinking career. I don't lose hope.

Alan Ramsey, Herald high priest of political pontification says we're sliding into a new kind of fascism and I can't disagree with him. I feel quite ill about where we are going, away from the light at the end of the tunnel or so it seems. The war on terror. The war is terror. The population is being terrorised. Australia is part of the terror zone. Welcome to it folks. But remember who is protecting you from the terrorists. Step right up and watch respectable public figures eat and then regurgitate their own shit. Triffic, triffic.

A person can waste so much time in spite of all the things that conspire to keep us busy. It alarms and depresses me the amount of time I've wasted on smut and on booze, in chatrooms as well as the countless hours spent lying in bed awake and staring at the walls and ceilings in the near-darkness. I could have been writing the great Australian novel, or at least polishing the crap that I've already written.

Anyway, I just hope y'all are happy out there, people. In spite of what I have to say about, it is still a beautiful world, really. If you are in any doubt about it, just go for a walk about town at sunrise when the weather is warm, or in any season really. Most people avoid the morning if they can help it and that may be one of the reasons for the sorry state the world has got itself into. We've forgotten the best and the most beautiful things and we're celebrating the worst and the ugliest. Learning for the sake of learning, living for the sake of loving or for beauty. Wouldn't it be good if more people would just try it? Wouldn't that just be better? It's possible you know, really.

1 Comments:

Blogger Daphnewood said...

You are so right. I needed to hear that today. In general, I am a happy person and love life and the world around me. I love all types of people and am optimistic about humanity. However, some days seem darker than others but your post help me look at the brighter side again. Thank you for that.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home